Optimize blobspace blobpage size

When you are evaluating blobspace storage strategy, you can measure efficiency by two criteria: blobpage fullness and the blobpages required per simple large object.

Blobpage fullness refers to the amount of data within each blobpage. TEXT and BYTE data stored in a blobspace cannot share blobpages. Therefore, if a single simple large object requires only 20 percent of a blobpage, the remaining 80 percent of the page is unavailable for use.

However, avoid making the blobpages too small. When several blobpages are needed to store each simple large object, you increase the overhead cost of storage. For example, more locks are required for updates, because a lock must be acquired for each blobpage.

Copyright© 2018 HCL Technologies Limited